Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nat King Cole - RE:Generation EP

picture and tracklist via Amazon

When I saw the headline for this album on okayplayer.com, I was instantly intrigued. Nat King Cole is one of my favorite jazz vocalists of all time; I've often said that if I could have the voice of any musician it would be his. Cole's voice had a velvety quality that gave his music its signature sound and helped elevate him to superstardom.

Whenever I come across an album by some DJ or Producer (often one I've never heard of) that claims to be a remix album of a historic artist, I am immediately skeptical. And don't get me wrong, the prospect of hearing a reinterpretation or reinvention of a famous artist's music is incredibly exciting. I love hearing someone bring in new styles and sounds and completely re-interpret an old classic (i.e. Frank Sinatra x Notorious B.I.G., 2pac Duets album, etc.). However, many amateur producers simply take an instrumental they've downloaded and mash it up with an acappella without regard to how the two sound together and without blending the two harmoniously.

Caution aside, the idea of an album containing a selection of Cole's most popular standards - "straighten up and fly right", "lush life", "nature boy" - remixed with an array of talented artists, spanning different genres and styles, sounds like it could have some very real potential. The "RE: Generation" album will feature guest appearences by Nas, The Roots, Damien Marley, along with production from Just Blaze and Amp Fiddler. If the tracks below are any indication, Nat King Cole's spirit will stay alive on this album.

The album is scheduled for release in late February/early March

Track list:
01. Lush Life feat. Cee-Lo Green
02. Straighten Up and Fly Right feat. will.i.am & Natalie Cole
03. Day In Day Out feat. Cut Chemist
04. Brazilian Love Song feat. Michaelangelo L'Acqua & Bebel Gilberto
05. The Game of Love feat. Nas & Salaam Remi
06. Walkin' My Baby Back Home feat. The Roots
07. Hit That Jive, Jack feat. Souldiggaz & Izza Kizza
08. Calypso Blues feat. Stephen & Damian Marley
09. More and More of Your Amour feat. Bitter:Sweet
10. El Choclo feat. Brazilian Girls
11. Pick-up (produced by Just Blaze)
12. Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere (produced by Amp Fiddler)
13. Nature Boy feat. TV On The Radio

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment