Saturday, February 14, 2009

Etta James - "My Funny Valentine"

"Your looks are laughable,
unphotographable.
Yet you're my favorite work of art."


via Google

Happy Valentine's Day!


To kick off the Valentine's Day edition of SF State of Mind I present this version of the classic jazz standard, "My Funny Valentine". "My Funny Valentine" is originally from a 1937 Broadway musical entitled Babe In Arms. Since its original release, it has gone on to become one of the most popular standards ever, being performed by hundreds of musicians, each offering his/her own musical interpretation.

This version was released in 1995 and is sung by the timeless Etta James. While James had a storied musical career and is best known for her debut masterpiece, At Last!, which featured the hit single by the same title, I think this is her best song. By age 57 - when she recorded "My Funny Valentine" - James had battled weight issues and drug addiction throughout her entire career. As a result, her voice does not possess the same range and strength that it did when she was a fresh 22-year old on At Last. In fact, the contrast is mind-blowing. However, I think all of that adds a maturity and emotional intensity to "My Funny Valentine" that is not present in her earlier work and which gives the song a deeply pensive tone. In addition, the song's lyrics are so poetic and the trumpet solo is simply mesmerizing. Play this joint to your special someone today if you really are trying to tell them you love them. Enjoy.


[as a note: Kanye sampled this song on "Addiction" from his 2005 album, Late Registration]

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment: