Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interview with Michael K. Williams, Part 1




The first part of the HoboTrashcan interview with New York-born dancer and actor Michael K. Williams. Williams is best known for his brilliant portrayal of the complex -- and often contradictory -- gay stick-up artist Omar in HBO's hit series, The Wire. In true Omar fashion, Williams offers his candid thoughts about his life, his career and playing one of the realest, most talked-about television characters in recent years.

Q. How was the character of Omar described to you? "He's mid-thirties, he's African American, he's a mean motherfucker that doesn't take any shit. He's a gangsta, gun-toting motherfucka and oh, by the way, he's openly gay." They put in big letters: "He's absolutely, positively non-effeminate."

Q. Did you have any reservations about playing an openly gay character? I'm a character actor, I always look for challenges. I look for things that are going to make me stand out. I'm a black dude from the projects of Brooklyn with some talent. It's like, "Get in line." I knew I needed to stand out from all of this motherfuckin' talent out here. When I read Omar, I didn't look at it and say, "Why does he have to be gay?" I said, "Oh, this is it. He's a homo. That's what I need." I took it as a blessing. The minute I read Omar on that paper, I embraced all of him. I never regretted any of it. I fell in love with him on the paper when I read the breakdown, before I even read a script.

Q. What reaction have you gotten from the streets and what reaction have you gotten from the gay community? I've got two words - all love. It's remarkable. If you think about it, Omar is non-traditional. He doesn't dress fancy, he doesn't wear jewelry, he doesn't drive fancy cars, he doesn't live in a fancy place, he's openly gay, he doesn't use drugs, he doesn't sell drugs - this motherfucka doesn't even curse. Why do they love him? All I can say at the end of the day is that you might not agree with his lifestyle, methods or motives, but you've got to respect him. He stands up for what he believes in. He lets you know the game. He lets you know his rules, and he doesn't switch up on those rules. I think that's what the streets love about him.

Q. You mentioned getting cut in your face? For those who don't know, what happened that night? It was my 25th birthday, I was in a bar, shit got hot, drinking, then words got exchanged and bottom line, there was more of them then there was of me, dudes had razors in their mouths and I got cut. Wrong place, wrong time basically. Wrong drink. That definitely woke me up. That definitely was a life altering experience. I almost died that night.

Q. Do you ever worry about getting typecast? I love my thug roles. I love them to death. I’m from East Flatbush, Brooklyn, if you know that area. That's what I know, that's what I do. Robert DeNiro didn't have any problems, Al Pacino didn't have any problems - these motherfuckas got awards for playing thugs. Look at Denzel Washington. Denzel had a career of playing stand up, forthright characters, but his best role [in Training Day] was a thug. Personally, I feel like I'll get my award for playing a thug. It would be my hope to get an accolade for playing a thug - and not a thug cop, I mean a real thug. As long as the story depicts my character as a complete and full human being, I'll take that thug in a minute. I know these people. I'm not a thug, but I know thugs. I grew up around thugs, I can call thugs if I need my thugs.

Q. What do you do to unwind? What kind of hobbies do you have? I just like to party. Life's a party. That's my hobby. My hobby is to always have fun in whatever I'm doing. I love to cook. I love to invite people over to my crib. Making people feel sexy, that's my hobby. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. Actually, no - sex, drugs and hip hop - how about that? Sex, weed and hip hop.

Click the link below for the full Michael K. Williams interview

via HoboTrashcan

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment