Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kanye West - "Welcome to Heartbreak" Video



via Kanye's Blog

The new video for Kanye West's "Welcome to Heartbreak" single off of 808s & Heartbreak. I think this video is pretty creative, if not the most visually appealing. It reminds me of a computer that is about to crash, or a tripped out iTunes visualizer. The video aside, this song is definitely one of my favorites off Kanye's new album. I like the production which features a variety of instruments, and I think his lyrics on this song are among the deepest and self-reflective he's had in a long time. In the opening verse, he says "My friend showed me pictures of his kids/and all I could show him was pictures of my cribs/He said his daughter got a brand new report card/and all I got was a brand new sports car." These rhymes reveal Kanye's doubts about the glorification of material possessions (the "Louis Vuitton Don") that has been his hallmark nearly his entire career. The recent tragedies he suffered made him more reflective of what is important in life, and I think this song really speaks to that. A new attitude and sound from Kanye, but one I appreciate, even if the production is not up to his usual standards.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment